Saturday, March 1, 2008

Home Again, Home Again

Jiggity-jog. One week ago today, I was talking to my friend Elenita in the downstairs central garden of our hotel in Quito, while my students swarmed over the Old City in groups of not less than two, hanging out with some of the friends they had made and doing some last-minute sight-seeing and shopping. Not to brag, but I do have to say: I got none of them killed. And they seemed to really take advantage of the experience and settle into the language, the culture, the surroundings, in just the way I had hoped. Special bunch of students.

But it's good to be home. Had a linigering, almost-blossoming bug that I seem finally to have kicked, and now it's back to the regular routine of school and home without worrying about planning the trip, or simply worrying about it. Janneke came and picked me up at the school when we got back, and Q scurried out of the car to run up and hug me. All he said was "Papi!", and then we stood there, squeezing. It was very nice.

T was asleep in the car.

One week of normalcy under my belt, and I have to say: Me likey. The kids were great for Janneke while I was gone, and I keep hearing about things that happened in those nine days that I didn't know about. Movies they saw, jokes that were played, accidents, adventures...Weird not to be around for those.

Q is enjoying a playdate with his friend Alex B right now. He and Alex get along super, super well - it's been 3 hours, and not a single cross word has been fired in either direction. Solid kid. I spent the morning taking out 3 weeks' worth of garbage, bringing in wood from the back yard to the garage, buying a couple of birthday presents for upcoming parties, and cleaning the house. And now I'm doing this while T sleeps in the car (she went to a birthday party this afternoon, and I'd love to show you a picture of her get-up, but I left the cable for uploading pics at school, so you'll have to wait) and Janneke does her workout on the treadmill downstairs. We'll switch in 15 minutes or so. Although I'm pretty sleepy, I had better get one in - Janneke made oatmeal bars today, and I've put away four of them so far. Gotta run them off.

Q and T were in the car coming home from daycare on Friday, and agreed to play "House" when they got home. "You can be the Mommy," Q said, "and I'll be the older brother, and we'll take care of the babies."

"No," T said, "You can be the older brother, and I'll be the older sister. And we'll pretend the Mommy died."

Been watching a lot of Disney flicks, have you, T...?

3 comments:

Jayne Swiggum said...

Tess is a girl after my own heart... Beneath the cheery smile hides a cess pool of drama and angst! Hahahahaha! Dad said you called last night and that you wanted to talk to me. Since I'm spending most of my free time with THE NEW BOYFRIEND, you should probably try calling my cell phone. I'll email the number.

mungaboo said...

Y'kknow, I'll be honest here - when you said "there's someone you should meet in April", I didn't say anything because...well...I thought you had gotten another dog. And I didn't know how to react positively to that. glad to hear it! Talk to you soon!

Jayne Swiggum said...

I'm sure that Brian will laugh when he hears that when I said I had someone for you to meet, you assumed I had gotten ANOTHER DOG, NOT A BOYFRIEND! There will be no more dogs acquired here for years. I've decided that having 1 or 2 is doable, but 5 is mental. If I could only have my Lily, that would be plenty.