Saturday, June 28, 2014

City Boys

Auto- correct had that as "cutey-boys". Thought about leaving it. 

Another day in the Urbe. Up at a reasonable hour and off to the only post office branch open on Saturday. A lot of you will be getting post cards, but probably after we get back. For some reason we haven't been able to find an open post office before now. So we trooped off to find it. 

I popped a pic of the first person I've ever seen doing what must be a constant chore around here:


We were in and out of the post office in a few minutes, and went off to buy some post cards and do some shopping. We got the post cards, but most places were closed because it's game day. Everybody,  practically, was wearing their Brazil jerseys:




Even a (lame) street performing Elvis impersonator got into the act:


The Posada organized another barbecue for us for the game:


The Chileans in the hostel established themselves in one room, and the Brazilians in another: 



As I pointed out on Facebook: Chilean men have round faces, powerful builds, ten extra pounds, and beards. There was another one too; I just couldn't get them all in the picture.

The game was amazing, with the Brazilians going bananas sometimes and the Chilean contingent going even more so. PKs is a terrible way to end a game, but I can't say it isn't fair. Chile should hold its head high, and its players should know that a number of big strong men wept openly when that last ball bounced off the post.

Neymar is amaaaaaazing. SO fast, such touch and control...incredible.

We watched Colombia-Uruguay, and the better team definitely won there. I was pulled more in a Colombia direction, perhaps because the Uruguayans seemed so angry. And because they seem to be angry with everyone on Earth except Suarez, who's the only one at fault. But it's a small country; they stick together. 

Quinn and I ate out:



We the did some shopping, and finished up with a dessert of pineapple smoothie - which is extremely similar, in Portuguese, to the word for "avocado". That was a close one.

I've mentioned the high regard I have for the Brits we've met on this trip, and now I think I'll mention the Chileans, particularly Matias, a lawyer who can quote Nicanor Parra poems like I can quote... Well, I can't quote anybody. Just the nicest, smartest, most well-educated guys you could ask to meet. They raise them right down there - Don, I'll have to give you his contact info. I know how hard up you guys are for someone to talk to when you're down there.

And, you know, while I'm praising things, here are a few others:

Brazilian drivers. In São Paulo, anyway, they are way into obeying traffic rules and lights, and are very, very deferential to pedestrians. In that regard, I see no drop-off from the US. I've felt very safe crossing the streets. 

"Why would you expect anything else?", sniffs Chauncey the Touchy and Easily Offended Knight of the Politically Correct.

"Because I've been in six other Latin American countries, Chauncey, and you're taking your life in your hands there every time you nip out to buy a packet of crisps, you mincing twerp."

Also to be praised: Quinn's sense of direction. He tells ME where to go 90 percent of the time. He knows before we get to the metro which train we're taking first and how many transfers we have to make. He can scan Paulista for two seconds and tell you if this metro stop or that one is closest. It's kind of spooky - to me, anyway. Like muskets were spooky to the native Hawaiians when Cook turned up.

The PosAda. James, the English traveller who was here the longest, told them before he left, "I've been in probably a hundred hostels over the last two years, and I can honestly tell you: This is the best one." Helpful, smart staff, friendly guests, great central location... Getting our money's worth, here. 

There you have it. Tomorrow we do some architectural sightseeing, and hit he biggest park in São Paulo, so Quinn - who feels better every day - can finally kick a ball around. We'll shop a bit too. I was offering a number of day trip options to Quinn, but staying in town was what he really wanted to do. Easy enough. 

Thanks for reading, good night!

No comments: