Monday, May 19, 2008

Research with Breakfast

Hey, folks - OK, here's the situation: Having recently learned some trivia about elephant seals and their ability to remain submerged for incredible lengths of time (two hours), I'm curious as to what the longest is that any mammal can stay under the water. So I open up the trusty Mac, and see that an Internet browser is open, and that it's on the "Frog" page of Wikipedia. Seems odd, I say to myself. "Hey," I call to Janneke, "Who was lookin' up 'frog' on Wikipedia?"

"Q," she calls from the recliner. "He wanted to do some research before school today. He wrote a whole page of notes, mostly on the etymology of it."

I cackled out loud. Not just at the delightful curiosity of my little Best Boy, but at the wonderful symmetry. He got more from me than gigantic eyebrows and a tendency to roll his shoulders when he runs.

Anyway, so as not to leave you hanging: Two hours is also the length of dives observed in sperm whales, the probable champion. A number of different sources give the dive times of the elephant seal as two hours - strange!, that a seal can out-dive most whales.

Must...Sleep...!

No comments: