Tuesday, October 14, 2008

3-Day Weekend Hijinks

Whoah - OK: T put on her "firebird princess" get-up that she wants to use as a costume for Halloween. It's some fall-colored chicken feathers arranged in festoons around the edges of a prancy-girl dance outfit that she got from Flavia, and it is soooome kinda cute. Pictures will have to wait until the big day. But, I mean, wow. Kee-yoo-uhtt. (Those of you not from Wisconsin may need to go find a Packer fan to translate that for you.)

Q was ratted out by Ronadh the other day. Ronadh had sorted out that Owen and Q, and a couple of co-conspirators, had been exploiting a loophole in the transfer system between school and their after-school commitment to spend some unsupervised time. So I had a talk with him yesterday, in a very calm and quiet way - I decided I actually kind of liked the grit shown by trying to put one over on us. A fairly harmless one, at that. So while I made it clear that we weren't pleased, I didn't exactly browbeat him.

We had Monday to spend together yesterday, by the way. T had daycare and Janneke went to work, so Q and I did a whole bunch of stuff. (Though my first activity of the day was to go running with Magnus. We ran 13 frickin' miles. he then went on to run 3 more, but I went home. Sixteen miles? That's just crazy. After I had some breakfast, I went to pick Q up from where he'd just had a sleepvoer birthday party at his friend Sean's house, and our day of daddy-son funhouse craziness began.) We then went apple picking (Macouns are absolutely the best apples ever conceived), watched Sports Center, threw the football, explored the woodsy area between our street and Sean's back yard (turns out you can walk there in five minutes without ever crossing a street), drove to North Adams and bought me some running shoes, and had lunch at McDonald's, before going to Paresky hall to play pool. It was just an absolute hoot.

We're on the very edge of possibilities with this computer. I've got too many movies on here, and I can't get them off - well, the main problem is that I have a half-hour-long movie project, which is an ungodly amount of gigabytes long, and leaves me without enough free space to turn it into a much-smaller movie so I can delete the project. So we're thinking about getting some more memory space, wondering what our options are. And long-term, I need to be able to burn DVDs so I can send these movies off to people. (Like my Dad, who would watch them on the tee-vee but won't on the computer.) So we have to lay out some more money. Which we love to do. I'm thinking I'd like to get a Mac Mini and set it up in the basement with the monitor we have from the old Dell desktop that melted down years ago.

Y'know how sick I am of hitting the mute button every damn time a Cyalis commercial comes on? I just don't need to think about an erection that lasts more than four hours. And neither do T or Q.

Almost as sick as I am of John McCain's flagrant racism. I'm having fun imagining Barack Obama meeting McCain post-election and saying, "I will never forget that, John. Never." And when Palin reaches out to shake his hand, Obama turns his back on her and walks away.

And then Palin and McCain notice a Barbie makeup kit, left behind by one of the Obama daughters on the floor. Palin reaches down and picks it up. "Aww," she says, "I used to have one of these!" She winks at McCain and opens it up.

Blinding light gushes out of it, and she and McCain melt like the Nazis at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

2 comments:

Jayne Swiggum said...

Although the idea of Obama saying he would never forget the slights delivered by McCain is appealing, I somehow think Obama is above even that. He strikes me as a person who would just let it go. This is a quality I wish I had. However, I'm afraid my personality is much more like McCain's than Obama's even though it sickens me to admit it. I could see myself coming out like a wet cat -- like McCain did during the first debate. All snottiness... Ugh. So me. I wish I were more like Obama!

mungaboo said...

He is above absolutely everything I could not have resisted in that debate. Which is why he's on the verge of history, and I'm on the verge of obesity.